A New, Limited-Time Pop-Up Experience at the Terrace
A new, limited-time experience is popping up this summer: the Terrace Pop-Up. Open Wednesday-Saturday from July 20 to Aug. 5, 4:30-10 p.m., the Terrace Pop-Up is a rare opportunity to secure your seats at the Shannon Sunset Lounge deck at our iconic outdoor dining and entertainment space, called the Memorial Union Terrace; we usually only offer Terrace seating on a first-come, first-served basis. Please do not make reservations for before July 20.
Your 90-minute reservation through the OpenTable app will provide you with guaranteed seats for your 90-minute reservation. The Shannon Sunset Lounge deck’s chairs offer one of the best views of nearby Lake Mendota and other parts of the Terrace, giving you the perfect way to enjoy your summer night lakeside. While the reservation is free, there is a minimum purchase of one drink per person, selected from our exclusive menu of cocktails, beer, wine, fresh-squeezed juices, and sodas. Check out the menu here.
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR VISIT
Bring Wisconsin Union Deliciousness to Your Pop-Up Reservation
Want to make the most of your reservation time? Visit our on-site dining options before you make your way to the Shannon Sunset Lounge, and bring your Wisconsin Union-made deliciousness to your reservation.
Our dining and hospitality curated a beverage menu specifically for the Terrace Pop-Up, and we’ve done research on food pairings to make for a delicious experience:
- Having a citrus-infused beverage, including those made with our freshly-squeezed orange juice? Consider bringing a chicken BLT from der Rathskeller at Memorial Union to your reservation. The savoriness of your made-to-order BLT will balance the natural sweetness of fruit for a refreshing, filling pairing.
- Enjoying a beverage with ginger in it? Food with a bit of heat complements ginger, bringing spice and spicy together for a beautiful marriage of flavors. Bring a Thai chicken pizza from Italian eatery Strada at Memorial Union. The sriracha mayo sauce of the pizza is always delectable and goes to a whole ‘nother level of deliciousness when paired with ginger-infused beverages. Ginger also complements sweet glazes and sauces in a unique way, slightly tempering the sweet of the sauce. We suggest ordering teriyaki or mango habanero boneless wings from lakeside Lakeview Lounge to bring to your reservation for this incredible combo.
- Just trust us on this next pairing, and give it a try: a minty beverage and BBQ fare. We have you covered with craveable house-made BBQ from our on-site BBQ Stand. Try the fire-braised pork sandwich, fire-braised chicken sandwich, or vegetarian beyond BBQ sandwich along with rich sides made by our team each day, such as mac and cheese or coleslaw.
- And dessert? Well, that goes with everything. Pick up locally-made ice cream to bring to your Terrace Pop-Up reservation from the Daily Scoop at Memorial Union. Try a classic double turtle sundae that brings together two scoops of creamy ice cream; rich, decadent hot fudge; sweet, slightly salty caramel; glazed pecans; whipped cream; and a cherry. Looking to share a sundae? Make your own sundae masterpiece when you order a freshman 15 sundae: 15 scoops of ice cream flavors of your choice, five toppings of your choice, whipped cream, and a cherry, of course.
You are welcome to peruse our Memorial Union restaurants’ menus here ahead of your visit: union.wisc.edu/dine/find-food-and-drink. Just don’t forget to stop by and order from our restaurants before your reservation, and bring your menu items to your reservation, so you can spend every minute of your Terrace Pop-Up time taking in our lakeside paradise from your reserved seats.
Have an Experience for a Lifetime
With events and activities happening practically every week of the year at Memorial Union, you can have an unforgettable experience for a lifetime when you combine your Terrace Pop-Up visit with Union events and activities. Here are some ideas to get you started in your plans:
- Free, live concerts: We host four days, Wednesday-Saturday, of free live music throughout the summer at the Terrace (and all year, moving music indoors in colder months). From bluegrass to rock, we have the soundtrack for your summer ready for you to enjoy during your Memorial Union visit. Check out our concert lineup here.
- Kayaking: Before your reservation, explore Lake Mendota alongside the Memorial Union Terrace with a rented paddle craft, such as a kayak or canoe, from our on-site outdoor recreation service desk. We have on-site showers and lockers to help you have a great experience. Wisconsin Union members are eligible for a 10% discount on paddling rentals on Thursdays. (Not a member yet? Anyone 18 and over can join the Wisconsin Union. Learn more here.)
- Art-making: Drop by our on-site art studio, called Wheelhouse Studios, on the lower level of Memorial Union for art-making. Open noon-10 p.m. Monday-Sunday, Wheelhouse has plenty of ways for you to explore art, including pottery, glasswork, metalwork, painting, and screen printing. For another art-making opportunity, join us for our free art series, called Terrace Art Zone, at the Terrace. Each Terrace Art Zone week features new art-making opportunities. Get in the Art Zone Wednesday-Saturday between 5-8 p.m. (or while supplies last.)
- Hotel stay: Make a staycation or vacation out of your visit. We, at the Wisconsin Union, offer hotel rooms at Memorial Union, Union South, and the Fluno Center, all within walking distance of your Terrace Pop-Up experience. Wisconsin Union members are eligible for a 15% discount on hotel stays at Memorial Union and Union South.
For a full list of our events, visit union.wisc.edu/events.
Difference-Making Has Never Been More Fun
As always, your purchases, including those made during your reservation, will support Wisconsin Union student leadership opportunities and help make our spaces, events and activities possible. You’ll be having fun and making a difference with your Pop-Up reservation. Make your reservation today.