Live Life in Full Bloom
Leave the winter blues behind and blossom your creativity in spring! Believe it or not, Wheelhouse Studios, Memorial Union’s open art studio, is already busy planning for spring semester art classes. We hope you’ll join us to learn a new skill in the new year! We’re sharing some sneak peeks and insider tips to make sure you can get a spot in one of the exciting spring classes, which typically sell out quickly.
Types of Classes at Wheelhouse
- Ceramics & Pottery – With a variety of classes, you can learn how to throw on a pottery wheel or discover the art of hand building ceramics.
- Draw & Paint – From watercolors to acrylics, find a range of classes that will help you paint and draw more confidently in the medium of your choice.
- Glass Art – From stained glass to fused glass, learn more about cutting, layering and heating glass to create works of art.
- Sewing & Textiles – Whether you want to learn how to use a sewing machine and create a pattern or you are excited to experiment with dyeing, try working with fabrics in one of these fun classes.
- Jewelry & Metals – Learn how to metalsmith and create your own rings, bracelets and more.
- Photography – With classes for DSLR cameras or smartphones, you can learn how to level-up your images from the moment you capture them to the editing process.
- Printmaking – These classes include offerings in screen printing, block printing and more to make your own posters, t-shirts and more.
- Culinary – our newly expanded culinary offering will help you learn the art of good cooking and baking!
Spring Class Highlight
There will be a range of fun and interesting classes in spring, but you’ll have to wait just a little longer to see the full selection. Word has it that you can look forward to a new textiles class that will focus on mending and repairing your clothes, so you can be more sustainable and keep enjoying your favorite items longer! You’ll learn things like sewing a button or fixing a tear and leave with a fully stocked repair kit to take home.
Wheelhouse offers art classes three times per year – during the fall semester, the spring semester and during the summer. Class registration opens up about one to two months before the next semester starts, and the very first place we let people know about classes is our monthly email newsletter. If you want to snag a spot in some of our most popular classes, including wheel pottery and fused glass classes, sign up for our newsletter.
In addition to art classes, Wheelhouse also offers open studio time for self-guided projects and group events to create with your nearest and dearest. We hope to welcome you to one of our spaces soon!