How to Terrace this May and June
If it’s a summer day that ends in “y,” there’s something exciting happening at the Memorial Union Terrace. Prepare to make the Terrace your second home this summer, because we’ve got you covered with iconic sunburst chairs, an impressive lineup of events and the perfect summer vibes, all of which are guaranteed to keep you coming back for more.
There’s no better time than now to experience all of the fun-filled opportunities that the Wisconsin Union has to offer, including free outdoor music concerts and film showings, paddling on Lake Mendota, and art-making on the Terrace. Read on to learn more about some of the events and activities you can look forward to this May and June, and visit TerraceSummer.com for the full Terrace season details.
Jam out to free music on the Terrace
Student leaders in the Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD) Music Committee have outdone themselves this year, planning a music lineup of four nights of free music a week. The weekly music schedule features open mic nights every Wednesday, bluegrass Thursdays, a jazz series on Friday evenings and performances in a variety of genres on Friday and Saturday nights. Prepare to be booked for the foreseeable future, because you won’t want to miss all the rockin’ concerts coming up this summer.
Here’s a sneak peek at some of the musical events that we’re seriously excited about:
- The Lower 5th – Saturday, May 28 at 8 p.m.
- Named “Best Alt/Indie Band” in the Best of Madison 2018, The Lower 5th is a local Americana group that specializes in Midwestern soul.
- Spare Time Bluegrass Band and Cork ‘n Bottle String Band – Thursday, June 9 at 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Come on down to the Terrace for a night chock-full of local bluegrass music. Spare Time Bluegrass Band and Cork ‘n Bottle String Band are two beloved Madison-based groups that are sure to wow you with their American roots sound.
- Jazz Fest – Saturday, June 18
- Join us for a full day of jazz music on the Terrace as part of Madison’s annual week-long jazz festival. Emma Dayhuff’s Phoenix Ensemble will kick off the festivities at 2:30 p.m., and Mama Digdown’s Brass Band will close out the day with an energetic ode to New Orleans jazz. And in between? Even more incredible jazz performances.
For full details of the summer music lineup, visit TerraceSummer.com.
Catch a summer vibe with a Lakeside Cinema film screening
What could be better than watching a film on a warm summer night against a glorious backdrop of Lake Mendota? WUD Film Committee members have planned two unbeatable film series as part of Lakeside Cinema, the Union’s free outdoor summer movie lineup. Treat yourself to the ultimate cinematic experience by grabbing a bag of popcorn from der Stiftskeller, a brat from the Brat Stand and your favorite candy from Badger Market, and settle in to enjoy a movie night like none other.
Cowabunga! Get your surf on with our first film series, “Surfing Through Summer,” featuring iconic beach-themed films every Monday night at 9 p.m. on the UW Credit Union Terrace Stage. These films just might have you believing that the body of water behind the screen is actually an ocean, complete with pirate ships, sharks, music and more. Here’s a look at what’s coming up in the next month and a half as part of this summer-loving series:
- “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” (2003) – May 30
- “The Goonies” (1985) – June 6
- “The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou” (2004) – June 13
- “Teen Beach Movie” (2013) – June 20
- “Uncharted” (2022) – June 27
Celebrate girl power with the “Hot Girl Summer” lineup, a series of five film screenings on select Sunday nights throughout the summer, starting at 9 p.m. Grab your girl gang, and head on down to the Terrace, because this is a lineup you certainly won’t want to miss. The June film screenings include “Jennifer’s Body” (2009) on June 12 and “She’s the Man” (2006) on June 26.
For the full summer film lineup, visit TerraceSummer.com.
Explore the great outdoors with Outdoor UW
Can you think of a better way to take advantage of summer than by spending as much time outside as possible? Neither can I. Lucky for you, Outdoor UW has got you covered with plenty of ways to enjoy Madison’s natural beauty.
- Rent paddling equipment, starting May 30
- Whether your preferred paddlecraft is a canoe, a kayak or a stand-up paddleboard (SUP), Outdoor UW has just the thing for you. Bring a friend along or enjoy the peace and quiet of a solo paddle as you make your way around Lake Mendota. Wisconsin Union members save 10 percent on paddling rentals every Thursday!
- Family Night on Lake Mendota – Tuesday evenings, starting June 7
- Bring the whole family for an evening of paddling, games, sightseeing and fun every Tuesday night from 4-6 p.m.
- Hoofer Youth Program – five sessions throughout the summer
- After two years off due to COVID-19, the Hoofer Youth Program will finally return to Lake Mendota. Youth ages 10-18 of all skill levels are welcome to join us for on-the-water instruction in sailing, windsurfing and racing. Visit hoofersailing.org/youth-program for more information on session dates and how to sign up.
- Recharge with a yoga class, starting May 24
- Engage your body and relax your mind with yoga classes on the Terrace or on a SUP. These yoga classes, in partnership with University Recreation and Wellbeing, are sure to leave you feeling rejuvenated.
- Book a group experience, starting in June
- Why not host your next birthday party or company get-together on the water? Choose from a list of activities that includes private paddling or yoga classes, or work with an instructor to create a group activity tailored to your tastes.
- Set sail with the Wisconsin Hoofer Sailing Club
Check out the Union event calendar to stay up to date on all upcoming Outdoor UW events.
Get artsy with Wheelhouse Studios
If you’re looking for something to spark your creativity, look no further! The folks at Wheelhouse Studios have got you covered with art activities galore this summer.
- Art kits from the Terrace Art Cart, starting June 1
- We couldn’t be more excited about this brand-new way to Terrace this summer. The Art Cart will offer a variety of art kits available for purchase so that you can create a masterpiece from the comfort of the Terrace. Choose from a selection of crafts, including string art, acrylic paintings, watercolor paintings and beaded bracelets. Each kit includes all the necessary materials and instructions—all you need to provide is your artistry and your enthusiasm. And, as an added bonus, Union members save 20 percent on art kits every Thursday!
- Terrace Art Zone, starting June 1
- Terrace Art Zone will return to the Terrace this summer, with free art projects every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 4-7 p.m., or while supplies last.
- Wheelhouse art classes, select dates throughout the summer
- If jewelry is your preferred medium, you can make a one-of-a-kind silver pendant during the “Stone Setting in Jewelry” class on June 6 and 13, from 6-9 p.m.
- Curious about the art of printmaking? Join our three-class monoprinting session on June 7, 14 and 21 from 6-9 p.m.
- Sip on some wine while painting a masterpiece during a Wine and Canvas night from 6-8:30 p.m. On June 10, create an image of a sunrise with rocks, and on June 24, capture the beauty of boats on the bay.
- If taking the perfect photo is more your speed, try your hand at abstract photography during the three-class session on June 15, 22 and 29 from 6-8:30 p.m.
In addition to these summer-specific opportunities, you can always use the open studio by purchasing a daily, monthly, or yearly studio pass.
We can’t wait to see you again and again over the summer for all of these amazing Wisconsin Union events. No matter how you love to Terrace, we’ve got just the thing for you. Check out TerraceSummer.com for the most up-to-date list of events and activities.