Top 3 Tips for a Trivia Victory
Quick! What is the Sett named after? If you knew that the answer to this question was a badger’s den, or just love trivia facts, Trivia Night at the Sett in Union South is the perfect Monday activity for you. With the help of Sett Shift Manager Joanna Anderson, we’ve put together a list of tips and tricks for how to become a trivia champ.
1. Keep up with the times
Many trivia competitions have question categories relating to current events, ranging anywhere from pop culture to international news. So spend a few extra minutes reading that section of the newspaper you usually skip, watch a new Discovery Channel documentary if you’re usually a reality TV person and browse news websites.
Bonus points: You can impress your friends with all of your new-found knowledge!
2. Form a well-rounded team
You aren’t going to go far in trivia if your entire team consists of only sports junkies. Gather a team of people with varying interests so you’ll be able to conquer questions. You and your friends all share common interests? Then invite your science-loving co-worker or even a person sitting alone during the trivia night–everyone’s an expert on something! A team with a diverse age range also never hurts. Younger team members can tackle pop culture while older members may be better history buffs.
Bonus Points: Make new friends and expand your interests.
3. Have fun!
Whether you’re playing for glory and riches or just need an excuse to get together with friends, one of the most important rules of trivia is to enjoy yourself. The buzzing social atmosphere is enough to come back, and even if you don’t win, you’ll walk away with interesting new knowledge that can assist you in future trivia nights!
Now that you’re prepared to crush the competition, it’s time to hit the Sett and break out your trivia skills. “During Trivia, the Sett can get pretty crowded, but the atmosphere is light-hearted and fun,” explained Joanna. “I love seeing how many new people show up each week, and how many ‘spectators’ pick up a sign-up sheet after just one week of watching.”
Here’s what you need to know for Trivia Night at the Sett:
- Trivia Nights are every Monday, starting at 5:30 p.m. during the summer and 8 p.m. during the school year*
- Prior to the start of the game, sign up with the DJ. Late signups are allowed, but you’ll lose points for any questions that you’ve missed.
- The first half consists of three rounds of questions. Each round, you can choose either one, three or five points for your question. After the three rounds, there is half-time question that usually consists of four answers, each worth two points.
- The second half of Trivia night is the same as the first, except the question values increase to two, four and six points.
- The final question is a tough one. Teams can wager 0-15 points and earn that same amount if they get the question right, or vice versa and lose the points if they get it wrong. Choose wisely!
- At the end of the game, the points are added up and the top three teams get prizes–a $10, $20 or $40 gift card to the Wisconsin Unions!
*Trivia Night cancellations are posted on the League Trivia website.
What trivia categories are you an expert at? Sports? Celebrities? Share in the comments section below or share some trivia tips we may have missed!